HomeSportFootballAFCON 2024: Cameroun Advance to Round of 16

AFCON 2024: Cameroun Advance to Round of 16

AFCON 2024: Cameroun Advance to Round of 16

Cameroun football legend Samuel Eto’o’s call out of his national team ahead of their fixture against the Gambia worked like a gem as Cameroon booked a place in the tournament’s Round of 16. Qualifying from 2nd place in the group. Needing a victory and requiring Senegal to beat Guinea, the AFCON holders did their job, and Cameroon just about managed to claim the three points – despite trailing 2-1 in the 85th minute.

Surprisingly enough, Man United’s Andre Onana was dropped for Cameroun’s pivotal game, with his cousin Fabrice Ondoa chosen to start ahead.

Other teams to have booked safe passage out of the group stages include Equatorial Guinea, Nigeria, Egypt, Cape Verde, Senegal, Angola, and Burkina Faso. Today’s fixtures will see who qualifies from Group E and F.

Unfortunately, the hosts Ivory Coast had to bow out embarrassingly after being beaten 4-0 in their final game by Equatorial Guinea. Other notable dropouts include Ghana and Algeria.

It may be too early to call, but after the completion of the group games Senegal and Cape Verde are my stand-out performers and I would fancy their chances of going all the way.

Must Read